09 Mar What is a Tummy Tuck Procedure?
A tummy tuck procedure, medically known as abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure performed by plastic surgeons and involves the surgical removal of excess skin and fat tissue from the abdomen as well as some surrounding areas depending on the needs of the patient. The procedure also entails tightening the muscles and connective tissues of the abdominal wall.
Abdominoplasty is performed to make the abdomen appear thinner, smoother, and more toned and is sought largely by individuals who have lost a significant amount of weight, with or without any additional hernias, and women who experience pregnancy-related changes around the abdominal area.
Tummy tuck procedures vary in scope and are divided into different categories. These procedures are performed depending on the unique circumstances of the patient and include the following types of abdominoplasties:
- Complete (full) abdominoplasty – involves a hip to hip incision with another made to free the umbilicus from the surrounding skin. The skin is then detached from the abdominal wall so that the muscles and underlying tissue can be accessed and repaired. Liposuction, a procedure where fat tissue is removed using a slender curette and suction device, can also be performed here to help contour the skin to appear smoother.
- Partial (mini) abdominoplasty – here, a smaller incision than that of a complete tummy tuck is performed. The skin and fat of the lower abdomen are loosened in a more limited way from the muscle tissue. The skin is stretched downwards and the excess tissue is removed. Again, liposuction may be performed to help contour the transition zone.
- Extended abdominoplasty – this procedure combines a complete abdominoplasty with a thigh lift. A complete tummy tuck is performed and further incisions are made along the sides of the abdomen which extend to the upper part of the outside of the thighs. The procedure is performed to help improve the shape of the waistline and upper thighs.
- Extended mini abdominoplasty – this procedure is also known as a floating abdominoplasty and is a relatively new technique that involves tissue tightening through a smaller incision that isn’t made around the umbilicus.
- High lateral tension abdominoplasty – the difference in technique here is that when muscle tightening is performed, it is also done in a horizontal manner in addition to the normal vertical tightening. The result is an impressively flat abdomen with a well-defined waistline.
- Circumferential abdominoplasty – also called a lower body lift or a belt lipectomy, this is a procedure that involves an extended abdominoplasty performed together with a buttock lift. The incision is made all the way around the body, thus its name. This is the chosen procedure for those patients who have lost a massively significant amount of weight.
Tummy Tuck Chicago
R.A.M. Plastic Surgery is a cosmetic and reconstructive surgery practice located in Chicago and is a highly-rated and professional medical facility catering to patients’ plastic surgery needs.
Dr. Ramsen Azizi MD is a double board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon who was born and raised in Chicago and specializes in abdominoplasties, among other procedures and has received praise and excellent reviews for the outcomes of the surgeries he has performed.